Friday 21 June 2019

Why did I choose to do a cycle ride, I could just have done a bake sale?

Gaia pushing her bike up a hill along the Caledonia Way. Blue skies and rolling hills in the background.
Gaia on bike with bike-packing equipment alongside traffic-free path. Directional sign-posts show Caledonia Way signs.

Gaia, 11, cycles the new traffic-free link at Ledaig on the Caledonia Way

Selfie of Gaia outside Inverness Castle, the end of the Caledonia Way route.

Gaia celebrating the end of her Caledonia Way adventure at Inverness Castle

Anyway, I should probably explain myself, I’m Gaia, I’m 11, I love cycling and raising money for charities that have helped my friends and family. I have now done two charity cycle rides and I’m always looking for a new challenge. I decided on the Caledonia Way as it certainly would be a challenge, I mean, from 182 miles (when I did the Hebridean Way in 2018) to 237 miles, that certainly is a challenge.

I wanted to raise money for Alzheimer Scotland. My grandad died with Alzheimer’s so I wanted to support the charity that helped him. I set up a page on Just Giving and people would leave messages with their sponsorship. Thinking about those messages kept me going and really helped motivate me when I was finding it hard.

Seeing Scotland differently

It was a different way of seeing Scotland, from a different angle. Because we didn’t scare animals away and you take a longer route, as you’re not always on the road, you see things you wouldn’t see in a car. We rode through lots of different types of scenery along the coast, lakes and forests, it was all really beautiful. My highs consisted of sweeping into Caradale, 1¾ miles to Lochgilphead, woohoo, and the seals sitting on the rocks at Loch Caolisport.

I really enjoyed it but it was hard work. Riding in the rain was absolutely horrible. Getting up was sometimes a struggle, there were a few times when dad had to literally take the tent down around me, because I was so tired. Also the hills were tough, because my bike is a road bike it doesn’t really have the low gears so sometimes I had to get off and walk when it was too steep, but I don’t mind that.

Being on my bike exhilarates me

Being outdoors and on my bike exhilarates me and I always get a good night’s sleep. I don’t think it matters whether you are a child or an adult, sometimes I think I was the one encouraging dad that he could do it. When I ride my bike I may not have as much experience as my parents but I’m learning to be safe on road.

I felt very proud when we finished, and it was really exciting to think I had travelled all that way. Though I had to take a break from my bike for a wee while afterwards because it takes a lot out of you doing a ride of that length.

I definitely want to do another big cycle ride, I’ve done it before and I want to do it again, we just need to find another route for next year.

Take a look at Gaia’s Just Giving page
 



from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8239590 https://www.sustrans.org.uk/blog/why-did-i-choose-do-cycle-ride-i-could-just-have-done-bake-sale
via IFTTT

source https://ukresinboundsurfacing.tumblr.com/post/185748291748

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resin Bound Surfacing

We supply interior resin surfacing for a variety of facilities, and also homes. The most common resin floors for indoors is self-levelling ...